Friday, July 18, 2008

etsy day

have you been to etsy.com? it's a place to buy/sell craft supplies and handmade items. so, if you make afghans or jewelry or crazy tissue-box covers... you can sell them here. or if you want to find a hand-made quilt/dress/necklace... you can buy them here. plus, you can buy/sell craft books, fabric, and anything you could think of old or new.

so there's a seller who hand-makes beautiful reversible bags and my friend, laura, asked me to help her pick out fabrics for the one she'd order. the process was so much fun, that i decided to look through all the fabric choices (read: nearly any fabric from any seller) and order my own bag.

laura's bag:


then, i was looking through the fabric pictures so much that i thought: what's more fun than picking out my favorite fabrics for someone else to make me a bag?? picking out fabrics to make the bag myself! so, i've mapped out a route to some local fabric shops and i'm going to see what i can find. if i don't find what i want at any of the stores, i can order fabric and a pattern online and go from there.

here is some fabric i like (but not necessarily all together):



6 comments:

Sarah said...

I wish I could spend Etsy Day with you! Since I can't, I'll just spend it with you in my heart as I go to the fabric store alone and buy fabric to make my own bag. I'm glad there are other people in the world who get as excited about this stuff as I do! Please be sure to do a post-etsy-day follow-up.

blake said...

I got to spend Etsy Day with TT. Nothing beats a day with the Mrs. We had fun and got to see some really creative designs.

Next week, I'll probably pull her to a tractor show or a barbecue tasting event.

Cheng family said...

How fun! I wish I could sew. It's on my list of things I'd like to learn to do. So I could make things like curtains, quilts, and purses! I'd love to see a picture when you're done.

tiffanie said...

i found a cheap pattern and got some practice material from my mom's stash and will see what i can do to start... i didn't want to start with expensive fabric before i knew what i was doing... i like to survey my options before i decide how to go about doing a project. i have it all cut out and will start sewing this week... we'll see how it turns out. it's been about 5 years since i sewed!

Sarah said...

i jumped the gun a little on my joann coupon, so i didn't buy anything on Etsy Day. I'm going tomorrow, though. And i think I'm going to do a test run with other fabric, too. Let me know if you like your pattern. I'm still thinking I"ll try to freestyle my bag but i might regret it.

Anonymous said...

Sewing is like riding a bike...you never forget how to do it. You might be a little rusty and even fall down a few times but with the help of your trusty little seam ripper you will soon be creating a beautiful new bag to carry all your treasures. (At least you have wonderfully young eyes that can still see the stitches!)