Well I started off this year with a trip to the library, a trip to the bookstore, and a purchase of three books online for the upcoming semester. Those ventures were in addition to receiving 3-4 new books from our families for Christmas. One of those gifts (the only one specifically for me) was The Seventeen Second Miracle by Jason F. Wright. My intentions with new books are usually better than my follow through, but I sat down and read this book over the course of two days. It was easy to read and engaging. I enjoyed it. The cover and plot to the story are thoroughly unassuming, but the characters are genuine and the story well-crafted. Through the reading I kept telling myself that the story was about simple things -- a group of high school students discussing the challenges of growing up, a young couple working out the kinks in their marriage, an older man trying to teach his son about life -- but the interaction of those things kept bringing the story to life, and making me care about where it was headed. I liked the simplicity of it. Jason Wright created some genuinely touching moments in these characters' interactions, and perhaps the simplicity of everything else in the story made those aspects stand out.
So thank you to my parents for this gift. Its message is loud and clear. I want to go out right now and buy my wife flowers. And she won't even have to say thanks.
2 comments:
but i will say thanks! thanks thanks thanks! and maybe buy something that the kitty won't eat and/or knock over. :)
I got Alan a copy of the book also. I plan on reading it as soon as I get the chance. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Post a Comment